Thursday, March 3, 2011

Babywaiting in Jordan

Skyping every day with my host family’s eldest daughter, Rasha, and her seven months old baby Zahura is not helping me feel particularly patient as I wait anxiously for news about Shayla and John’s incoming baby. The good news is that I’ve learned some baby songs in Arabic that I will sing when it is my turn to Skype with a niece, and in the meantime I get to see a lot of pictures of a very cute Jordanian baby.

Speaking of cute Jordanian babies, Leila hit the jackpot with that one: on the same day she arrived to live with her host family, the host family’s daughter came home to have a baby, which means Leila got a month of up close and person babywaiting, not to mention constant family visitors and a pregnant lady for a roommate. But she was patient and has been rewarded by getting to have a brand new baby in the house with her!

I don’t know what it is with babies and me. I just love ‘em! Hormones, I guess. Anyway while babywaiting is fun, what’s more fun will be finding pictures of a newborn baby in my email! Then I can print them out and show them to every single person I know. To prepare for the occasion, I asked Reema the appropriate way to tell people in Arabic that my brother’s wife will have a baby soon. Reema got very excited and assured me that this is a topic everyone will want to talk about, and that I should bring it up at family gatherings so that my extended host family can ask me lots of questions and give me a chance to practice speaking Arabic.

This is how you say: "My brother is going to have a baby girl!" Apparently it translates literally to something, like, "my brother will soon welcome a girl!" Which is, like, really cute. Anyway, the pronunciation is something like "Akhooy bidha teejeeh binet!" or,

اخوي بدها تيجة بنت

Also important, I learned how to say, "the baby is here!" so that I can tell my host family as soon as I know: "Ejat al binet!" or

ا جت البنت

Anyway, I'm pretty stoked. Pretty ecstatic. More on the baby front as it develops, except that I will probably be tromping around the desert without internet access at the time of the birth, so unless my parents learn how to call my Jordanian cell, I will probably be a few days late to the baby party. Oh well, she will have a present from Jordan and I will have a good story about where I was when my first niece was born.



1 comment:

  1. Don't worry, she is late to her own party. So it may be until you get back until she graces us with her presence. You will be the first to see pics!
    Love, J&S

    ReplyDelete