Thursday, February 10, 2011

Who's on first?

Before I tell this story, you’re all going to need a quick little Arabic lesson so you can understand where the confusion came from.

1) My name is Anna.

2) The word for “I” or “me” in Arabic is ana. It’s pronounced like Anna.

3) For my name is, you say: “Ismee...”

4)So for “My name is Anna” you would say: “Ana ismee Anna.”

We always knew this would present a problem.

Taxi driver Fadi: Shu ismek? (What’s your name?)

Me: Ismee Anna. Shu ismak? (My name is Anna. What’s your name?)

Taxi driver Fadi: Ismee Fadi. U inte? Shu ismek? (My name is Fadi. What’s your name?)

Me:... Ismee Anna.

Taxi driver Fadi: Na’am. Inte. Shu ismek? (Yes, you. What’s your name?)

Me: Anna.

Taxi driver Fadi: Na’am, inte! (Yes, you!)

Me: Barif, ana. Anna. Ana ismee Anna. (I know. Me. Anna. My name is Anna.)

Taxi driver Fadi: Aaaah, walla? Anna. Anna? Ismek ‘ana’? (Ohh, really? Anna? Your name is “me”?)

Me: Na’am. Anna.

Taxi driver Fadi: Walla...

Awkward pause.

Me: Hon, law samaht. (Here, please.)

5 comments:

  1. Isn't it great to be able to provide entertainment? D'you think the taxi driver went home and told his family later? "guess what happened to me today!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. So now you know how I feel when patients cannot understand the word "weight" or "weight" due to my appalachian accent. I have to to think of some way to ask the question "Has your weight changed over the last year"? without using the word "weight". Not exactly the same, but you get the idea. And of course, I'm saying probably ridiculous things in Spanish everyday at work that gets me crazy looks from the patients

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Who's on first?"!! or a truly profound statement: "I am I."

    ReplyDelete
  4. it's only annoying if you don't like talking about yourself in the third person literally all of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is my favorite post so far (except maybe the chocolate cookie post). I laughed out loud and read it to Jeff. So proud of you and happy that this experience is turning out to be so rich and wonderful. Love you and miss you. Liz

    ReplyDelete