Monday, February 21, 2011

A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words Part I: Day at the Dead Sea


I woke up on Friday morning feeling pretty mopey and a little homesick but after lunch Ziad came bounding into my room and informed me that since it was such a beautiful day, we were going to the Dead Sea!



Me and Ziad in the sunshine


Fantastic salt formations on the shoreline. My friend Ed, who is fluent in geology, said: "Just goes to show how hypersaline the water is. I bet that most of the crystallization occurs on the inside of the egg! Because that water is separated from most of the dead sea, it will heat up faster and evaporate more than the dead sea itself. This makes the salt precipitate on the inside on the egg more than the outside! That's why the formation seems to have layers almost!"


Sunset. Across the water is occupied Palestine. Beautiful.

I'm so good-looking I can hardly even handle it! Thanks for the genes, mom and dad! Concession: it's hard to take a bad picture in a place as beautiful as this.

No comments:

Post a Comment